Newborns are supposed to sleep all the time, right?? Right. Not. Our first week home was quite interesting! Sleepless nights, lots of screaming, no poopy diapers, etc. It was quite emotional for me as well, because I didn't know what to do! I called and talked to nurses, lactation consultants, and had tried everything they suggested to get him to stop crying and sleep. We decided maybe he wasn't getting enough to eat when I tried pumping and would only get an ounce. We decided to start supplementing with formula. As soon as we did that, we had a SAFISFIED baby!! It turns out my milk never really came in. I wasn't as bummed about the not being able to exclusively nurse but the fact that everyone puts so much pressure on moms to nurse. I am glad he got the important colostrum in the beginning and at least one breast milk bottle a day for 2 weeks, but it just was too much to try keep up with when there wasn't much of a supply.
I really didn't realize how common this is until I started talking to other people. In our classes and in the hospital, everyone puts so much pressure on nursing and basically throws out the guilt trip if you can't do it. Once I finally got the courage to just do what is best for us, I felt a million times better! Corbin was 6lb7oz at his one week check, so not back to his birth weight. Our dr was very supportive of our supplementing and we went back on Monday and he weighed 7lb4oz!!
Our latest struggle has been finding the right formula. We've been through constipation, projectile vomiting, and hopefully now are on the right track. This whole having a newborn thing is such a steep learning curve and an exhausting one at that!
Yesterday I started bleeding from my incision. Tim took me in to the dr and it turns out I had a hematoma. They drained it and there was lots of old blood. I had a sharp pain in that spot the last couple days so I should feel quite a bit of relief. I have to keep a dressing on it for the next couple days and hopefully the recovery goes even faster now! What's one more set back?!
Currently we're enjoying snuggles and naps on the couch and getting used to bassinets and swings. Slowly but surely!
Oh wow, what a roller coaster! I'll be praying for you guys and that you get formula figured out, as well as for you. Make sure you rest! And have fun cuddling your sweet baby!
ReplyDelete